Well I did not take pics of the whole process, but Basically what I did was this. As you can see the base unit has a point at the top that will interfere with the mount for the big bar engine guard, as it has a mount in the top loop of the frame.
(pic from L&M site)
So I held it up to the bike where I wanted it, and marked with a sharpie the point at which it would not hit the engine guards. Then I took my straight edge and continued the line across the top, taking about 2" off the top if I remember properly. Then I took my dremel with my cutting wheel and sliced off the top of the unit following the line I cut. I then took tin foil and stuffed it behind the unit and formed what the new top would look like. After several fittings on the bike to make sure I had the shape correct, I took a little cloth I picked up at Walmart for such things (hoodie like material) and doused it with fiberglass resin. Once this hardens, I then started cutting some glass mat and placing it on the unit and soaking it with fiberglass resin using a cheap 35 cents paint brush from Home Cheapo making sure to get all the air bubbles out as I worked. Once that layer was dry, I added another layer until I had 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass on it and it was good and hard. I then followed the line of the chin spoiler with my straight edge and my dremel to get a nice edge around the back of the unit. I sanded with medium then fine grit, and finally wet sanded until the hardened repair was smooth. I then test fit it back to the bike to make sure it fit properly. All in all about a half day effort worth of work, though there is allot of waiting for the gelcoat to setup, so plan on doing this over a weekend. Luckily the bike is not down during this time so you can still ride
Once I was happy with how it fit, then I took it to a local paint shop and had them match the paint on the bike. They painted the unit and had it back to me a few days later.
Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can. This is not my first time using fiberglass, but it is my first time in a long time and the first time on my own. Every other time was under the supervision of my dad when I was a kid working in his shop. The finished product looks great. I think they should make a shortend unit for those of us with engine guards, it would be a very simple mold to make and would give them yet another product for the liner.